Mission of the Department is to promote, facilitate and secure the long-term development, conservation and utilization of fisheries resources based on responsible fishing practices and environmentally sound management programmes with focus on:
- Sustainable utilization of the natural fish resources
- Augmentation of fish production by aquaculture, exploration of new fishing grounds, promotion of low value fishes.
- Enhancing fish production and productivity
- Ensuring safe fishing
- Increasing livelihood opportunities
- Strengthening social security and welfare measures for fisher folk
- Fish resource conservation and management
- Facilitating improved post harvest practices and value addition with industrial and market linkages.