Tezpur is the headquarter of Sonitpur District and the most important city on the  north bank of  Brahmaputra River. It is a city steeped in mythology and folklore. As they say, it is a place where stones tell stories while valleys sing along. 

Situated on the bank of Brahmaputra River, adorned by lush green hills and hillocks, decorated  with parks and lakes; the city has been bestowed by nature with a beauty that never fails to captivate the mind of any traveler.

It is full of dreams that can be translated into reality by imaginative human hands.  

Legend       |    History    | Tourist Information | Educational Institution   |    Health Facilities   |

                                     The Legend of Tezpur

Tezpur literally means the city of blood’, reminds  of the romantic legend of Usha and  Anirudha.    The  legend revolves around Banasura, the great Asura king of ancient Tezpur,   his  beautiful   daughter  Usha   and  her   friend Chitralekha.  The  princess saw a handsome prince in  her dreams and fell in love with him.   Chitralekha,  a talented artist,   not   only    painted   his    portrait   from    Usha's description   but  recognised  him  to  be  Aniruddha,  the grandson of Lord Krishna and ruler of Dwarka.  Using her magical powers, Chitralekha  spirited  Aniruddha away  to the princess' boudoir where  the  two  married each  other according  to  Gandharva rites,  without the  knowledge of the  king.   When   Banasura   learnt   of  the  clandestine romance,  he  imprisoned   Aniruddha,  which  led  to  the arrival of Lord Krishna   to rescue his grandson. A fierce battle followed and the entire  city  was  drenched in human blood, hence the name Tezpur,  i.e.  ‘the city of blood’ .
                                                                                                      Go top















Brief History

It was during the Mleccha dynasty or the line of Salastambha (from the last part of the 7th Century A.D. to the 10th century A.D), that the city was known as Haruppesvera or Hadapervara or Hadapesvara or Hatapesvara. The Tezpur Rock Inscriptions of Harjar Varma is of  829-30 A.D.   The Tezpur and the Parbatia Copper Plates of Vanamats (middle of the 9th century A.D.), the Bargaon Grant of Ratnapala (circa 1035 A.D.) also reflect the city’s historical importance. Da-parbatia Door frame located at Da-parbatia near Tezpur is regarded as one of the excellent pieces of monumental art in stone in Assam.

Although the city lost its importance during the medieval era, it was soon to regain it when the British came. Considering its  strategic importance the colonial rulers first made it in to a garrison town.   Gradually it became an important   centre of trade and commerce, used  as a river port for the surrounding tea gardens and other colonial commercial ventures in the  hinterland. 

In 1835, Tezpur became  headquarter of Darrang District.

In the 1962 Chinese aggression, the city faced the apprehension of invasion, and bears a Memorial near the Circuit House as a testimony of that.

In 1983, the Darrang District was partitioned, and Tezpur became the headquarter of Sonitpur District.  
                                                                                                   
Go top

                   

Tourist Spots in Tezpur Town

 Chitralekha Udyan (Cole Park)
It is, undoubtedly, one of the most beautiful places in Tezpur. Established by a British Deputy Commissioner, Mr. Cole in 1906,  the park has two massive ornamented stone pillars, and other  sculptural remnants . It was recently renovated and revitalized in 1996 under the stewardship of the then Deputy Commissioner, Mr.  M.G.V.K.Bhanu, IAS. It has water sports facility, walk ways, restaurant and  open air stage.
·        Agnigarh
This hillock  on bank of river Brahmaputra  is the site of  legendary romance of princess Usha (the only daughter of king Bana) and Anirudha, grand son of lord Krishna. Usha was kept on this hillock which was surrounded by  fire, hence the name of Agnigarh. Agnigarh provides a panoramic view of the great river and Tezpur. Recently Agnigarh has been developed as a beautiful park by district administration. It has a  series of sculptures depicting the mythology ,open air stage, giant mushrooms  and  huge water fall .
  • Padum Pukhuri
    This is a beautiful lake with an island. The island has been developed into a beautiful park with a musical fountain. There is an iron bridge to take you to the island. On the lake one can boat.
     

District Museum at Dak Bungalow

Dak Bungalow  is an old and beautiful British era building in heart of the town. Recently it has been renovated and now houses the District Museum.

Ouguri hill

Ouguri hill on bank of Brahmaputra  river provides breath taking view of the mighty river and Tezpur town. There are huge rocks  on the top of the hill which add to the beauty of the hill. These rocks provide facility for rock climbing. There is a  giant statue of Kanaklata, legendary martyr of Quit India movement of 1942,on the top of the hill. Recently district administration started developing the hill in to a beautiful park.

·        Trimurty Udyan
This is a  park along Borpukhuri.   This has been named after the three jewels of Assamese  culture: Rupkowar Jyoti Prasad Agarwalla, Kalaguru Bishnu Prasad Rabha and Natasurjya Phani Sarmah.

·       
The Hazara Pukhuri
It is a large tank in  name of Harjar Varman in Tezpur. It was excavated in the early part of the 9th century. 
 

·        Bamuni Hills
The ruins of Bamuni Hills are famous for their exemplary artistic finesse. The sculptural remains date back to the ninth and tenth century A.D. 
·        Da Parbatia
 Ruins of the door frame of  Da Parbatia temple, a few kilometres away from Tezpur, is perhaps the finest and oldest specimen of sculptural art in Assam. Its carving is characteristic of the early Gupta school of sculpture.  

Mahabhairab  Temple :

The ancient temple of Mahabhairab stands to the north of Tezpur town. This temple is believed to have been established by king Bana with a Siva lingam. Formerly, this temple was built of stone but the present one is built of concrete. During the later years, the Ahom kings donated devottar land for the Temple and Pujaris and Paiks were appointed to look after the temple. The responsibility of management was in the hands of a Bordoloi or Borthakur .But now the affairs of the temple is managed by the Government through a managing committee headed by Deputy Commissioner. Sivaratri is celebrated in the Temple in a big manner.

Haleswar :

It is 10 km to the north of Tezpur, near Tezpur- Balipara main road. A linga was found by a cultivator ( Hallowa) while he was ploughing in the field. A temple was constructed initially on this linga. Later , the Ahom King Rudra Singha constructed the temple in 1705 AD.

Rudrapada Temple :

To the east of Tezpur town, on the bank of river Brahmaputra the Rudrapada temple is situated. It is believed that Rudra ( Lord Shiva ) had left the print of his left foot (pada) on a stone found in the temple. It is believed that Mahadeva showed his real self to king Bana here. Rudrapada temple was later built by Siva Singha in the year 1730 A.D. The main temple was destroyed, due to erosion of river Brahmaputra.

Nine lines Inscription of Harjjar Varma :

About 2 kms away from the heart of the town, close to the Rudrapada temple on the bank of river Brahmaputra the famous nine line inscription of Harjjar Varma (approximately – 815 – 834 AD) is seen. This inscription is of 829-30 A.D. This is found engraved on a stone. This inscription is archaeologically important.

Bhairabi Devalaya :

Bhairabi temple is situated on a small hillock on the bank of river Brahmaputra. It is in the eastern side of Tezpur. Tradition has it that "Usha" the daughter of King Banasur, used to offer puja to the Goddess Bhairabi regularly. Bhairabi is another form of Durga.. The temple we see here now, is newly built. There is no sign of the old temple. It is believed to be destroyed by various natural calamities. Ruins of old temple are lying scattered around the temple.

 

·        Bhomoraguri
It is a mammoth stone inscription made by the Ahom General Kalia Bhomora Borphukan, who planned to construct a bridge over Brahmaputra. Almost two centuries later, a bridge at the same site now stands completed. The 3.015 km bridge, named after the great Ahom general, connects Silghat of Nagaon district with Tezpur.  

           
Tourist  Accommodation at  Tezpur

Tezpur has a number of guesthouses and hotels for accommodating tourists.

·        The important guesthouses are:

Tourist Lodge , Circuit House ,Arunachal Govt. Guest House (Parbatiya)

·        The important hotels are:

Hotel Luit, Hotel Parijat, Hotel Durba, Hotel Basant, Hotel Meghdoot, Hotel Blue Star, Hotel Frontier, Hotel Rest House, Hotel Himalaya, Central Lodge, Hotel  Kanyapur, and Hati Pilkhana.                                                                                                       
                                                                                                                                            Go top



Educational Institutions

The Tezpur city boasts of a Central University, a few colleges, and a number of schools.

The Tezpur University, a Central University, was established in the early nineties. Situated in the suburb of Napaam, the university is still in a nascent stage, but has all the potential to become a national level academic and research centre.

The premier colleges of the city are the Darrang College and the Tezpur College. There is also a girls’ college near Mission Chariali area.

The Assam Valley School, situated at a distance of 15 Kms from Tezpur, is a first rate public school with all the requisite facilities for all-round education. Besides, there are also other good schools like Don Bosco, Saint Joseph’s Convent, Sacred Heart School  in Tezpur. The government run schools provide quality education in the vernacular medium. There are two  Kendriya Vidyalayas at Dekargaon and  Solmora.  
                                                                                                  Go top


                             Health Facilities

Tezpur has a Civil Hospital named after the famous martyr girl, Kanaklata. The Kanaklata Civil Hospital has top quality indoor and outdoor sections to provide medical treatment to a wide range of people. With efforts of District Admistration   work of drainage system, incinerator, boundary wall and Blood Bank have already been started. Public contributions have been mobilised and a new modern paying ward has been constructed.  

Mission Hospital and Army Base Hospital also provide quality medical service.

Besides, there are a number of private nursing homes, viz. E.M.Mirdha Hospital, Sukhada Nursing Home, Gogoi Nursing Home etc.

Tezpur has the premier mental hospital of North East India. It is named as 'Lokapriya Gopinath Bordoloi Regional Institute of  Mental Health'. 
                                                      
                                                   Go top

___________________________________________________________________________
             Home|Accessibility|Land&People|Legend&History|Tourism|Culture|Economy|Education
         Administration|Development|At a Glance|Tezpur Town|Telephone Index|Photo Album|
News Page
___________________________________________________________________________

                                                   Web Site developed by 
                                               National Informatics Centre  
                                              Sonitpur District Unit, Tezpur
                          Information provided by the District Administration.
                 For any suggestion or comments please write to tezpur@hub.nic.in